Are you craving that warm and delicious lasagna but cannot eat it because you are on a ketogenic diet? You do not have to give up on that delicious Italian dish just because you are on a diet. Yes, believe it or not, you can make a Keto-friendly lasagna.
All you have to do to create a Keto-friendly lasagna is to create a substitute noodle that is low carb, and you cover it with delicious cheese and meat for a comforting Keto-friendly meal. Make sure your tomato or marinara sauce does not have any sugar either to make this lasagna fit your keto diet.
How Many Carbs Are There in This Keto Lasagna Recipe?
We all know the importance of tracking the number of carbs you eat every day in a ketogenic diet. A ketogenic usually calls for having a limit of only 50grams of net carbs every day, for your body to stay in ketosis.
Depending on the method you chose for substituting your pasta, each serving has 2 grams of carbs and 50.7% of fat. It also has 46.5% protein because it is filled with meat and cheese, making it keto-friendly.
Making the Substitute for Noodles
Before we start assembling our lasagna, we have to create a substitute for Noodles first. You can always just take out the noodles and make them without any noodle layer. However, the result is an unstable lasagna that will fall out of your plate.
You can also use vegetables to create a more stable, noodle-substitute layer. Creating a spaghetti squash or eggplant base can give you that delicious and healthy lasagna. However, these vegetables may add to your total net carbs.
You can also use spinach for a low-carb option. However, one of the best methods you can use is to replace it with more meat. You can use ground beef and brown it in the oven to create a crispy and meaty layer to your lasagna.
Low Carbohydrate Keto Lasagna Recipe
This Keto-friendly lasagna recipe can give you that delicious Italian dish without carbs. The star of the show is creamy cheese and tasty meat. Adding vegetables like Spinach can help make this recipe a healthy and delicious dish.
- Preparation Time: Fifteen Minutes
- Cooking Time: Thirty-five Minutes
- You will need: Oven, Pan, Baking pan, and a mixing bowl
- Overall cooking time: Fifty minutes
- Amount of Servings each recipe Yields: Nine
- Total Calories: 301
Meat Layer Ingredients
- 2lbs or 0.90 kg of Ground beef
- Half a cup of Parmesan cheese
- A teaspoon of Onion Powder
- A teaspoon of Garlic Powder
- One Egg yolk
- A teaspoon of dried thyme
- Half a teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper, this ingredient is optional
- Two teaspoons of Ground Sage
- A teaspoon of Ground Oregano
- Salt and Pepper
Lasagna Layer Ingredients
- Two to Two and a half cups of sugar-free marinara sauce
- Ten ounces or 283 grams of Spinach
- A cup of Ricotta cheese
- Half a cup of Parmesan Cheese
- Two cups of shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- One-fourth teaspoon Garlic Powder
- One-fourth teaspoon Black pepper
- One-fourth teaspoon Onion Powder
- A tablespoon of Olive Oil
- Two egg yolks
- Parsley for garnish
Preparing the Meat
Below are the step-by-step methods you should follow when preparing the Meat layer of the lasagna.
- Start by beating the egg yolk and preheating your oven to 450° Fahrenheit or 232° Celsius. In a separate container, combine all the herbs in the ingredients, not including the salt and pepper. Reserve half a teaspoon of this herb mixture for later use.
- In another mixing bowl, prepare the ground beef by mixing it thoroughly with the herb mixture and adding the beaten egg yolk. You can also sprinkle some parmesan cheese on the meat as well.
- Prepare your baking pan with parchment paper and scoop your beef into the baking pan. Flatten the beef to give that crispy edges. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on the beef before adding it into the oven.
- Bake the beef for seven to twelve minutes until it becomes brown. The beef would produce a lot of oil while baking, so make sure to drain that oil before adding the meat mixture to your lasagna.
Assembling the Lasagna
After preparing your meat, you can go ahead and follow the steps below to make the sauce and assemble your lasagna.
- Start by preheating your oven to 400° Fahrenheit or 204° Celsius. Prepare a mixing bowl and add your sugar-free marinara sauce, grated parmesan, and half a teaspoon of the herb mix you made earlier.
- Mix all the ingredients and set them aside. Get another mixing bowl and add in your ricotta cheese and beaten egg yolk. Fold them together until well combined. Set this bowl aside as well.
- Heat a skillet and add in a flavor-free oil like olive oil to sautee your spinach. You can add some onion powder and garlic powder to the spinach as well. You can now begin assembling your lasagna.
- In a baking pan, add in your marinara and seasoning mix to the bottom of the pan. After adding the marinara sauce, you can now add the meat layer we baked before, acting as the noodle layer of the lasagna.
- Add some more marinara sauce and add the sauteed spinach from before. Add your white sauce or ricotta mixture on top of the spinach. Add more mozzarella cheese on the next layer and repeat until you are satisfied with the layers.
- Cover the top with more mozzarella cheese and bake the lasagna in the oven for fifteen minutes, just enough to make the cheese melt and brown.
Storage and How Long Does It Last?
This Keto Lasagna can last five to seven days in the refrigerator. However, if you store the lasagna in an airtight container and keep it in a container, it can last for a long time. You can easily assemble the lasagna in a separate container and freeze it until needed.
Once you are ready to eat the lasagna, simply bake the lasagna in the oven until the cheese is melted and golden brown. Always refrigerate or freeze your lasagna, so it does not spoil.
How Is It Keto-Friendly?
This lasagna works as a keto-friendly dish because we removed the noodles and replaced them with a meat and spinach layer instead. Replacing the noodle layer takes out the carbs and adds more fat into the dish.
Fat is the necessary energy source for people on keto diets. The amount of cheese and ground meat in this recipe also makes it a good source of healthy fat. Always remember to avoid adding marinara sauce that has sugar in it, to prevent high carbohydrates.
Can I Substitute Any Ingredients?
You can substitute the noodle layer with any low-carb option that you like. Keep in mind that vegetables can add to your total net carb, which can throw you off your ketosis. Other people use deli meat or roasted chicken breast for their noodle layer instead.
Be aware of the additional salt in deli meat as well. You cannot add a marinara sauce or tomato sauce that has sugar in it. However, if you would like to sweeten up your sauce, you can use a low-carb sweetener and add it to your marinara sauce. You can also follow a keto diet meal plan like this to get more delicious and keto-friendly recipes that you can cook at home.
Entering a ketogenic diet does not have to be boring and dull. You can still enjoy your favorite Italian dish like the lasagna just by substituting a few ingredients into low-carbohydrate ingredients. Using a vegetable or meat base and eliminating the noodle layer can help to make lasagna a keto-friendly dish.